Friday 56 & #BookBeginnings: Dark Horizons

Doctor Who Dark Horizons
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


For Book Beginnings:
The Doctor looked down at the board, sighed and gently knocked over the king with one finger. Lost again. That was the problem with playing chess with yourself. You always lost.

For Friday 56:
'Fine fine fine,' said the Doctor. 'I'll do everything myself, as always.'
- p. 56

This was a really fun read! You can check out my review hereThis was my second Doctor Who book and I got introduced the eleventh doctor, too!
Hoping you all have a great Friday and an even better weekend :)
About Dark Horizons: “Now, you may or may not have noticed, but we appear to be on fire…” 
On a windswept northern shore, at the very tip of what will one day become Scotland, the islanders believe the worst they have to fear is a Viking attack. Then the burning comes. They cannot run from it. Water will not stop it. It consumes everything in its path – yet the burned still speak. 
The Doctor is just looking for a game on the famous Lewis chess set. Instead he encounters a people under attack from a power they cannot possibly understand. They have no weapons, no strategy and no protection against a fire sent to engulf them all. 
Add in some marauding Vikings with very bad timing, a kidnapped princess with a secret of her own and a TARDIS that seems to have developed an inexplicable fear of water, and they all have a battle on their hands. The islanders must take on a ruthless alien force in a world without technology; without communications; without tea that isn’t made out of bark. Still at least they have the Doctor on their side… Don’t they? 
A thrilling new adventure starring the Doctor, as played by Matt Smith in the acclaimed Doctor Who series from BBC Television.

6 comments

  1. Hi Aloi,

    Both hubbie and myself are avid fans of Dr. Who, the television series, but I doubt that either of us would pick up one of the stories in book form and enjoy it in the same way. All those special effects and noises, just have to be seen and heard to really appreciate them.

    New series starts here in UK television this Saturday 23rd, so no guessing where we'll be!!

    Thanks for sharing and I hope that you keep enjoying the books,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I'm afraid to start watching or reading this series. I don't want to get hooked on something that I don't have time for.

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea what the time period/setting of this one was, I'd just heard a lot of good things about it, but now I know I DEFINITELY have to read it! =o And I may also have to recommend it to my best friend who did her Masters thesis on the Lewis chessmen =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have never watched a show or read any stories... seems to be quite popular on both accounts though.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always lose at chess. LOL!!!

    THANKS for your beginning.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete




© guiltless readingMaira Gall